Monday, October 1, 2012

Birth Story Day 1: A hint of Labour

Lesson #1: Listen to your body, only you know when something's just not right. 

I know its been forever since I have written but I've been pretty busy with...well... life and its been really good to me.

A quick run down of the last few months: we moved house into this great spacious 3 bedroom, 3 and a half bath house for a steal of a deal. We love that there is so much floor space for M to move in...and move he does. I fear he may never walk because he creeps at lightning speed and gets where he needs to super fast. We are also finally getting into a rhythm that works for our family. Resuming extra curricular activites, gym, work and balancing that with a healthy family life is not easy. I am back on track at work, involved in community work once more and recently signed up for a half-marathon (don't ask why...like I needed more on my plate), so I'm presently focused on training for that monster of a challenge.

Evertime M hits a new milestone or is a month older I say I'm gonna start blogging again but frankly and honestly I just haven't had or made the time. I don't want to even look at a computer once I get home...so I'm doing this during my lunch hour :) With plans underway to celebrate M's first year of life I thought it would be nice to walk down memory lane: this time last year.

1 October 2011 was a Saturday and I remember that day very clearly. As usual I was just happy to do just put up my feet, laze around the house and do absolutely nothing. The previous night I had visited a children's home with my Rotary club to make kites. Suffice to say I had never made a kite in my entire life (a skill that will no doubt come in handy in the future), but it was an evening well spent having fun with the kids and channelling our creativity.



Trying with my 2 left hands to tie my sticks together

What stands out about that night is a comment made by a friend who said "I hope you have your bags packed, you could go anytime now".  I laughed of course as I was only 28 weeks along and had tons of time and wobbling to go....or so I thought. I was feeling great so there was absolutely no need to worry or go into panic mode just yet. The items for my hospital bag was still in their Kmart shopping bag in the back of the closet.

So the next morning when I woke up I was a shocked to realise that I had some slight back pain, more like discomfort, nothing alarming, but nonetheless new to me. I convinced myself this was all par for the course. I'd been lucky so far with no major complaints, weren't the last few months supposed to be at least 'uncomfortable'? I spent the entire day sitting on my exercise ball rocking back and forth as no position was comfortable and was grateful for the antics of my partner to distract me to help the day pass. By nightfall however I was feeling very cold and swore I had a tempaerature. My partner said I was over reacting and I again convinced myself that this was normal. Hadn't I read that pregnant women usually have fluctuating temperatures? (Yeah I'd read a LOT!) I decided to take a shower and have a nap. Sometime during the night I started to sweat perfusely but in a few hours I felt okay and was able to get a good night's rest.

What happened when I awoke the next morning is a whole different story...but tomorrow for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment